Read All About It
We think our mission is newsworthy. The press—and bestowers of prestigious awards—agree. Read on for a sampling of Aim High’s media coverage and other recognition of our powerful, empowering impact.
- San Francisco Teacher’s Nonprofit Aim High Has Been Hitting the Mark For 36 Years – KPIX5
- Aim High announces new CEO. Julia Chih will join Aim High as chief executive officer on January 17. – Press Release
- Alec Lee in partnership with Horizons National co-wrote, Look to experienced summer learning programs when it comes to COVID recovery.
- Aim Him is mentioned The Takeaway episode, Will Summer School Look Different This Year? The episode discusses how school districts are rethinking summer programming.
- Aim High Executive Director Announces Retirement After 35 Years of Leadership read the latest coverage in San Francisco Business Times
- Alec Lee on the goals and successes of Aim High at Home in Harvard Ed. Magazine
- ‘Summer slide’ meets COVID-19 and finding solutions to overcome both – a Stanford School’s In podcast featuring Thomas Dee
- Aim High Receives $100,000 Grant Award for Summer Learning Program from New York Life Foundation – Press Release
- Virtual Summer Enrichment that Aims for Real-World Impact – Usable Knowledge, an online resource of Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Bay Area Nonprofit Launches Endowment with $5M Donation From Longtime Donor – Press Release
- Alec Lee and Terrence Riley are featured in a podcast Lessons in Adolescence, Episode 12 – Remaking Middle School Initiative
- Aim High creates educational equity in the Bay Area by minimizing summer learning loss – a Get Schooled Podcast episode by Soapbox Project
- Summer Program That Encourages Students to Teach Gets High Marks – Education Week
- Aim High teaching methods praised in NSLA/Packard Foundation report
- Aim High graduates give back to North Tahoe-Truckee this summer – Sierra Sun
- Nonprofit Profile – San Francisco Business Times
- Summer Students Learn to Aim High – San Francisco Chronicle
- Aim High’s summer program highlighted by The Mercury News, the Napa Valley Register, and Education Week
- Summer programs for kids are at risk – an op-ed by Aim High’s Executive Director in the Napa Valley Register
- Harvard Graduate School of Education shines a light on Aim High co-founder and his impact on summer learning
- Circle up: Teaching social-emotional skills year round – EdSource
- Bay Area teens take part in ‘Aim High’ program to avoid summer brain-drain – ABC7 News
2022 Jefferson Awards for Public Service
Alec Lee, Aim High’s co-founder and retired executive director, was honored with the Jefferson Award for Public Service in April 2022. Lee served as the Executive Director of Aim High for 35 years, and during that time helped more than 15,000 middle school students, as well as thousands of teachers, in pursuit of their goals in the classroom – and beyond.
2018 EXCELLENCE IN SUMMER LEARNING LEGACY AWARD
For the second time, the National Summer Learning Association selected Aim High as one of five organizations to receive the New York Life Foundation Excellence in Summer Learning Award. Aim High is the first organization in the history of the award to win the honor twice—a distinction so new that NSLA created the title ‘Legacy Award’ just for Aim High. NSLA published their first blog post written by Aim High staff Alix Joselyn, Grants Associate, and Alec Lee, Executive Director and Co-Founder, Five Things to Think About When Prepping for Summer.
2016 CHAMPIONS OF CHANGE AWARD
Aim High co-founder and Executive Director Alec Lee was named a Champion of Change by the Obama White House in 2016. He was honored alongside nine other changemakers for his leadership in operating a high-quality summer learning program that helps bridge the opportunity gap for low-income students.
2013 EXCELLENCE IN COLLABORATION AWARD
This award recognizes an organization that has demonstrated successful and positive results in forming, cultivating, and implementing a collaboration that serves to increase the educational opportunities for underrepresented students. To read more about our award, visit the National Partnership for Educational Access website.
2012 COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP AWARD
Aim High was recognized by the San Francisco Foundation “for closing the achievement gap through programs that inspire a love of learning and a strong sense of community.”
2008 EXCELLENCE IN SUMMER LEARNING AWARD
The National Summer Learning Association selected Aim High as one of three 2008 recipients of the Excellence in Summer Learning Award. The award recognizes summer programs exhibiting excellence in accelerating academic achievement and promoting positive development for young people.
2006 BANK OF AMERICA NEIGHBORHOOD BUILDER AWARD
Bank of America awarded Aim High the highly competitive Neighborhood Builders Award. Aim High was awarded a $200,000 grant for general operating support over two years in addition to a year-long professional development program for senior leaders.